Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Travel & Timothy Ferriss

Sorry for the brief hiatus there, I just recently returned back to the States after a brief vacation through Turkey with my wife. We were in Turkey for Turkey Day. (Yes, a cheesy pun, but I still think it's funny.)

This wasn't the first time my wife and I had been to Turkey, but it was the first time in many years, and even though I had been there before, I always find new and exciting things to do wherever I go. I love traveling and exploring.

One of my favorite ways to explore the area that I am visiting in through hiking, or even just simply walking around and getting lost. Traveling, however, takes a large toll on the body. I know for myself that after long plane rides where all you can do is sit and wait, I feel tired and knotted up, which makes it difficult to enjoy the vacation until after a day or two of "acclimatising" and then when you finally are ready to go explore and wander around or hike, all of that walking can be hard on your knees. Recently, thanks to my wife and daughter, I have been doing a small yoga practise each day to help strengthen my knees so that I can walk and explore even more, and to help stretch and relax me before and after long and stressful plane rides. Yoga is something that members of my family have been doing for years, but I've only recently gotten into it, and I am so glad I did. In fact, I wish I had earlier! It made me realize that it's never too late to try new things, and that you shouldn't be afraid to either, because usually the experience whether good or bad will make for a great story, it will help to better you life or worldview in some way.

Which leads me to Timothy Ferriss. When I I was traveling back from Turkey, I was reading one of the magazines that you find in the fold of the seat in front of you on the plane and found an article about a man and his "obsessions". "Newsweek calls Tim “the world’s best guinea pig,” which he takes as a compliment. Other odd habits: Japanophile, compulsive tea drinker, tango world record holder, and language learning fanatic." I was instantly hooked, he seemed like somebody that I could relate to. Somebody who loved traveling to new places and tryin new things. I instantly wanted to know more about him.

Now a contributer for Quarterly Co, "Timothy Ferriss is feverishly working on a first mailing for Quarterly, which will be posted here—along with future mailings—once it’s been shipped. Subscribe now to be part of Timothy’s mailings from the very beginning."

In his own words: The theme of my Quarterly mailings is obsession—the ideas and objects I just can’t get out of my head. I get obsessed with all kinds of things. Sometimes I’m hooked on a great health product or travel gadget. Other times I’m into a new productivity booster. And a great book can always grab my attention.
I never know what I’ll get obsessed with next, and that surprise factor is what makes obsessions great. Sign up for my mailings to share in my world and get surprised along with me.

I cannot wait to see what he comes out with, so I can broaden my scope even further! 

No comments:

Post a Comment